Tuesday 17 February 2015

Recipe : No Measurements Pancakes


It's Pancake Day! ... or Shrove Tuesday. Either way each year I always make a butt load of Pancakes today and I am always nominated as cheif pancake maker because well... I make the best pancakes. 

I, however, don't use any recipes as I was taught by my Nan how to make pancakes and it was an entirely 'by eye' method, but they always turn out great so I thought I'd share what I do.

First your ingredients.


Milk, Eggs and  Flour (usually plain). Simple.
Ignore the amounts this is just what I used for photos!

Most recipes say add flour first, then egg and then milk, I do it differently, how my Nan showed me.

1. Beat your eggs together. For this I use usually 3-4 medium eggs if I'm making it for 2-3 people, use less if it's just for you (1-2) and more for lots of people (4+).

2. Add milk. I add the milk until it turns a pale pastel yellow colour. (Shown below)


3. Now I add flour a little at a time until the mixture is a nice gloopy (or is it spelled gloppy?) consistency, so it starts to thicken to the point when you remove your whisk (or whatever you're mixing with) the mixture clings to it a little but is still liquid.

4. You want to mix this until there are no lumps at all and a thin layer of bubbles that do not pop form on the top of the mixture. 


5. Now you leave the mixture (my Nan leaves it overnight, but I'm not that patient) and get your frying pan ready. Turn your hob on to full heat, put your pan on the hob and add a tablespoon or so of vegetable oil. Once it's starting to heat move the pan around so it spreads the oil around.

6. The pan needs to be super hot so leave it for a little while.

7. Now you pour in a little bit of mixture, I make a big blob in the center of the pan and then swirl it around by moving the pan in the same way I did to spread the oil. I do this until the mixture is evenly and thinly spread over the whole base of the pan.

8. Leave it to cook until there is no wet mixture left, then using a wooden or plastic-type spatula lift a tiny bit of the edge of the pancake and go around the perimeter, lifting all the edge of the pancake off the pan.

9. Check to see if it's turning golden underneath, if it is, it's ready to be turned over; if not, leave for a little while longer.

10. To turn the pancake over just slide your spatula to the center of the pancake and insure it is not stuck to the pan anywhere, then flip it quickly.

11. Leave the pancake to cook until it turns golden underneath.

12. That's it the pancake is done and you're ready to add your toppings once you have transferred it to a plate! You may want to add a little more oil to the pan between pancake if your pan is non-stick or a little old.

Okay so I forgot to take photos of my finished pancakes but they usually come out pretty much the same as this... 


Now if you prefer your pancakes thinner than this, just add a little extra milk to your mixture until it doesn't stick to your whisk. Alternatively if you like them thicker, more scotch/american style, add more flour until it's just a bit thicker and is slow to form back together when stirred, OR use self raising flour instead of plain.

If you find your pancakes are coming out a little pale, add an extra egg.

With the amounts of ingredients I used, so 3 eggs as a base, I made 6 pancakes in a 24cm non-stick frying pan. To give you an idea of how much stuff you'll want to use. 


This may be useless to you, but it's what I do and I've never made a bad batch. It's also really flexible, if I fancy thinner pancakes that's fine, if I want thick ones, that's peachy!

Does anyone else use a similar recipe? Did this make sense to you?

If you're stuck or something doesn't make sense comment below and I'll get back to you ASAP!

Thanks for reading!
Birds in Blossom x

No comments:

Post a Comment